Postdoctoral research associate, Natural Resources Institute, University of Manitoba
Landscape ecology, spatial genetics, and environmental management in boreal systems
I work on questions in ecological modelling and spatial analysis and their applications to environmental management and conservation; in particular, how the spatial structure of landscapes may influence the movement of organisms, and how spatial genetic data can inform decisions.
Applications of this work include making sure wildlife can move freely to access habitat they require, and preventing the spread of pests, pathogens and invasive species.
Currently, I am a postdoctoral research associate supervised by Dr. Micheline Manseau (University of Manitoba and Parks Canada) and Dr. Paul Wilson (Trent University). Before starting a PhD, I had another career as a secondary school teacher.
- 7. Galpern, P., and M. Manseau. 2013. Finding the functional grain: comparing methods for scaling resistance surfaces. Landscape Ecology (doi: 10.1007/s10980-013-9873-1)
- 6. Galpern, P., and M. Manseau. 2013. Modelling the influence of landscape connectivity on animal distribution: a functional grain approach. Ecography. (doi:10.1111/j.1600-0587.2012.00081.x)
- 5. Galpern, P., M. Manseau, P. J. Wilson. 2012. Grains of connectivity: analysis at multiple spatial scales in landscape genetics. Molecular Ecology 21:3996-4009.
- 4. Galpern, P., M. Manseau, P. Hettinga, K. Smith, P.J. Wilson. 2012. ALLELEMATCH: an R package for identifying unique multilocus genotypes where genotyping error and missing data may be present. Molecular Ecology Resources 12:771-778.
- 3. Galpern, P., M. Manseau, A. Fall. 2011. Patch-based graphs of landscape connectivity: a guide to construction, analysis, and application for conservation. Biological Conservation 144:44-55.
- 2. Houle, D., J. Mezey, P. Galpern, and A. Carter. 2003. Automated measurement of Drosophila wings. BMC Evolutionary Biology 3:25.
- 1. Houle, D., J. Mezey, and P. Galpern. 2002. Interpretation of the results of common principal component analyses. Evolution 56:433-440.
- 2. Galpern, P., C. Kirstein, L, Leesti, G. Reither. 2007. Learn Smart: Strategies to Succeed in School and Life. Teacher’s Resource. Emond Montgomery, Toronto. (Publisher)
- 1. Pegis, J., M. Emond., P. Galpern, G. Hall, C. Kirstein, L, Leesti, G. Reither. 2007. Learn Smart: Strategies to Succeed in School and Life. Emond Montgomery, Toronto. (Publisher)